Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Hobgoblin of Little Minds




So. It's come to this. It's 11 pm central, and I'm sitting in my family house on the floor of the upstairs playroom, straddling a magnificent pint of Ben and Jerry’s Half Baked ice cream between my sprawling, and might I say slightly prickly legs. I've accomplished a steaming pot of nothing today, and my usual energy is simply draining away like the color out of Alexander McQueen's fall 2012 collection. Unlike the collection however, my mood does not contain interruptions of beautiful scarlet organza, brilliant bursts of feathers, or a creamy, deliciously sensual manipulation of fabric that only the most fabulous of fashionistas could accomplish. No. My mood is none of that. my mood is utter blah. All-time Low. And I'm not talking about the band here folk's (  http://www.alltimelowband.com ) Needless to say my current levels of apathy and general laziness have been shocking. It's only the beginning of summer and already, I seem to have run out of gas. Two weeks ago, I could have blamed this foul, unseemly mood on the general lack of sleep and stress related with undergoing my first finals week of college. Two  MONTHS ago, I could have attributed it to the utter suckiness of undergoing my first real experience in heartache. Now?? With a trip to Ireland at the end of the week, and a trip to the big apple the in three weeks, I have absolutely no time or reason to be lazy!! So why this? why now??

11:45 pm central time.

My Half Baked is half gone. But, between chowing down on the gobs of chocolate chip cookie dough, I managed to sort through what I believe are the quintessential causes of my utterly gassed out mood.
1) Between working hours at my new job (which I seem to be totally lost at) in an effort to ensure that I'm not totally broke after all my summer adventures, I seem to be driving myself crazy
2) My current obsession with physical fitness and ThinkThin protein bars takes a lot of energy and will power to keep up with!(although I'm doing pretty good! Only two weeks out of college, and several stubborn pounds down! obviously the caf food was NOT doing it for me)
After a few more spoonfuls, and several more minutes of quiet deliberation, I finally muster up the energy to put down my now 3/4ths done pint of ice cream and actually DEAL WITH MY PROBLEMS. shock. As an aspiring medical student, I decide to rely on my powers of self-diagnosis. Ultimate Prescription? Change of scenery. Wasn’t it Emerson who said “consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"? After doing nearly the same thing and seeing the same people every day for the past 9 months at University, I have absolutely no idea how to spend my newfound summer free time. I need to break away from consistency. I want change, and spontaneity. I want to kiss this small town life goodbye for the next three months. I want--no--need a vacation! Ireland on Friday can't come soon enough :-) Until then, i'll settle for a cold shower and some sleep. Work in the morning, and my little friend Consistency will have to stick around a while longer.

--Pearl

No comments:

Post a Comment