Search This Blog

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sweet Summer: Great Books, New York City, and Cupcakes


photo credit: fanpop.com 
One of my favorite parts of summer is tackling my summer reading list. I don't mean the  list of required reading for school that teachers sent home every year, but a list that I keep all year long when I'm too busy with assignments and work to read. I keep a list in my phone, and a written list, to keep track of books that I come across and want to read when I have the time to really enjoy them. I  have to give credit to my past teachers in elementary and high school who sent reading lists home for the summer. I'm not going to say that I didn't dread those lists, but having that required reading every summer has made reading a natural part of the season for me. I definitely can now appreciate being able to choose which books to add to my list.  I tend to read a few books at a time; for some reason I have always liked to alternate books depending on what mood I'm in. Even when I was a little kid, I remember checking out a stack of picture books from the library each week, knowing I would want to read more than one. Here is a list of the books I'm currently reading (and one I just finished.) :
File:SuitefrançaiseIrèneNémirovsky2004.jpg


 1.    Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
         I picked up this book from the library and was fascinated by the story behind the writing of the book itself. It was written by a French Jewish woman during the worst years of World War II. The book describes the  experiences of Parisian Jews living under Nazi occupied territory. The author wrote the book while hiding with her own family from the Nazis . The most incredible story is that even though she was sadly taken to a concentration camp, the author's children remained in hiding and carried their mother's manuscript with them for years. The book remained unpublished for sixty four years.

2.    Paris, My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light ( and Dark Chocolate) by Amy Thomas

     On a much lighter note, I just finished reading this sweet novel about a starry eyed young professional who scores a job at Louis Vuitton, and moves to Paris for a year. She writes about her experiences indulging in the city's fabulous pastries and chocolates, and also writes about her love for her hometown, New York City. Each chapter is named after an iconic dessert ( Cupcakes, Macarons, etc.) and at the end she includes her favorite places to enjoy that pastry in New York and Paris. I had fun making notes on which places to check out when  I visit  New York in a few weeks. Which brings me to my next books...

3. The Little Black Book  of New York and National Geographic's Traveler:  New York
            I know these aren't really novels, but I have kind of made a hobby out of planning for my New York trip. I went to New York once before and instantly fell in love with the city. We were there for a week, and before I knew it I was getting back on the plane home, left with an entire list of things that we didn't do. So I have been planning ( maybe a little too much) on how we can do the most things, and basically have the most fun without wasting time on looking up directions, or just figuring out what to do. I can't tell you how many times we just stopped, all looking at each other asking "What are we going to do today?" The city is so exciting, but the options are overwhelming. I can sit with my travel books, map of the boroughs, and my laptop open for hours at a time just looking over different places to go while we are there. 

Its 8:30pm and I'm beginning to hear the wind and thunder outside my window- signs of a classic summer  thunderstorm, aka perfect reading weather. Look for my post soon about my New York trip- I plan to post about all the bakeries and coffee shops we visit, and I've got a pretty long list, so we'll see how many places I can cross off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment